Stoke Park, Buckinghamshire
A Grade 1 listed country house by James Wyatt set in a landscape created by Capability Brown, reconfigured by Humphry Repton and now overlain with a golf course designed by HS Colt. James Wyatt undertook two phases of work for John Penn in 1794-1810, Matthew Digby Wyatt made significant alterations in about 1850 and further major alteration were undertaken in about 1890. A complex series of further alterations happened throughout the twentieth century.
Working with Land Use Consultants, we have prepared a conservation management plan for the house and landscape and the first phases of work identified in the plan are now in progress The research and investigation work that we have undertaken for the conservation plan has provided the first authoritative account of the development of this complex building.
We have designed a number of small buildings within the park and are currently involved with the restoration of the eastern bay of the Wyatt library, which was converted to a kitchen in about 1960, the redecoration of the banqueting room and the restoration of the north west parlour, which has been used as an office for many years. This work is being informed by careful examination of the built fabric, historic paint analysis undertaken by Patrick Baty and by records that we have located in archives in Pennsylvania.